Cut-off day

Our girls were born on THE cut-off day for kindergarten in Boulder. They will either be the oldest or the youngest in their class – anyone born a day later in 2004 will have to wait another year to begin kindergarten. At first, back when they were small lumps crawling around our apartment, I advocated waiting. People said it was better. People said they knew kids who grew up timid as the youngest in their class and kids who grew up strong as the eldest. “If you want leaders hold them back. If you want followers put them in early.” My mother-in-law teaches seventh grade and said she can tell who is older and younger in her class without looking at her pupil’s birthdates. It matters, and we wanted our kids to be their best, so we’d wait. Funnydad agreed. I was so sure that’s what we’d do.

Now I put that decision in the same category as when, as a childless woman in my 20s, I saw preschoolers in mis-matched clothes and swore my children would not look like that. You just don’t know how you’ll really handle most kid things until they’re staring you in the face; then you search for advice, close your eyes and let instinct carry you.

Their teachers say they’re ready for the big K. Socially and academically. We agree from what we see at home (as if we know what a kindergartener should be doing). A few months back, after much agony, we agreed to start them in kindergarten and let them be the youngest in their grade. I was okay with this decision, but I worry. Kindergarten is okay, but what happens in seventh grade when they – petite compared to their peers – develop late and think boys are gross when others don't? A friend reminds me that seventh grade sucks no matter what age you are. But, what about them not being confident because they’ve always been youngest? A friend tells me of how she was held back and was so bored with the academic work that she tended to daydream, get in trouble, and not try hard.

For every turn of this decision there is someone with an anecdote. Being youngest helps build social skills because they have to work to be included. Being oldest helps build social skills because others look up to you. One friend tells me that she was youngest and loved it, and her husband was oldest and loved that. I conclude that you make the best of whatever your situation.

Oh why, oh why couldn’t my daughters have been born in any other month? Why can’t Boulder have a different cut-off day?

In fact, it turns out that Minneapolis, where we lived for two years before Boulder, has a kindergarten cut-off day of September 1. Bam, decision made: wait. And New York City where they were born has a cutoff of December 31. Bam, decision made: enroll. What this tells me is that it’s not about the age in terms of academic success – these kids all blend in the same academic environment at college – it’s your peer group.

But anyway, we’d decided, and kindergarten it is. In addition to their academic readiness, most of their friends would be going to kindergarten. How odd would it be that kids they play with all the time are suddenly a year older than they are? And if we did that to them, what would be our reason for holding them back? To possibly set them up to be stronger leaders? Aren’t there other ways to foster that?

So, as a way of hedging, Funnydad and I thought we would continue them at their Montessori school for the kindergarten year and put them in public first grade. Give them another year of maturity before they faced the big school with a cafeteria and changing classes for art and music.

I must have subconsciously questioned the decision. At each playdate or moms' parking lot discussion, I’d explain our reasons to M+O’s friend’s parents. Protesting too much… Everyone else's kids are going to our local elementary school, Foothills. It’s an excellent school, why would you pay for private school when Boulder’s public schools are top-notch?

Doubt crept in. Just who would be left at their Montessori school next year? There are 15 in this year’s kindergarten class, but the school says they know next year is a smaller class. How small? Would we want them to be just two kindergarteners of five? (No.) We've requested the enrollment numbers for next year for their current school, but don't have them yet. In this economy Funnydad and I doubt many will choose private kindergarten if they don’t have a compelling reason. And, anyway, aren’t I being a tad over protective? If they’re ready for kindergarten, then frickin' put them in kindergarten.

You might think this blog post ends with our decision, but it doesn’t. I’m still in agony over what is right: keeping them at their Montessori school or putting them in our within-walking-distance public elementary school; however, I feel the tide turning toward the public school option. I am coming to realize that if the decision is this hard to make, both answers must be okay.

The girls started telling people they’re going to Foothills next year, I think because they keep hearing their friends saying they’re going. M+O don’t understand they may not be in the same classroom as their friends, they just want to go where everyone else is going.

Funnydad and I are still trying to find out how many kindergarteners their Montessori school will have next year, and we still have a Big Discussion ahead of us to decide. And whichever way we go, I have years of worry ahead of me.

School, especially middle school, was hard on me. I wasn’t popular. I dreaded that feeling of walking off the cafeteria line, tray in hand, scanning the lunch room for someone I could sit with. It was hard, tearful at times, and I would do almost anything to shelter my girls from that experience. But, my mother tells sad stories of eating her middle school lunches in a ladies room stall because she couldn’t find anyone to eat with in the cafeteria either. Maybe it’s genetic. Or maybe there’s nothing to help adolescence not suck. Or maybe, because they’re twins, they will always be able to eat lunch with each other.

Comments

LisaBe said…
ugh! big decisions. but like you said: if it's this tough, there must not be much qualitative difference in any way that matters, or certainly not in any way that's predictable. i was among the youngest in my class and did well socially and academically until high school, at which point i floundered socially—primarily because i wasn't interested in experimenting with pot or alcohol, as far as i can tell—but still did well academically. extracurriculars shaped me as much as (if not more than) anything else in the nonacademic worlds—social skills, leadership, those other things you're considering. girl scouting and lots of volunteer work. my older brother went in early as well (he has a september birthday, so would have been even closer to youngest than i was), but my younger brother (who also has an early-september birthday) stayed behind until the next year. you know how those stories went, but i think my point isn't that going early ensures anything—rather, that a lot more depends on family, friend, and extracurricular influences than age of entry. they're going to flourish no matter what, because they have you and funnydad as parents.
Rydley said…
Congrats on making a decision! We will be facing a similar decision with Jia. Her birthday is nearly the same as mine. I was by far the youngest in my classes and it was fine also until high school (like LisaBe). I still did fine academically but socially I was a 14 year old hanging out with 18 year olds so I was exposed to too much stuff way too early and had poor judgment. So I worry about that for Jia because I also think we'll start her young. But I think we'll still do it anyway? I guess I need to start working on that judgment stuff early on. Thankfully I have another year to decide!
Anonymous said…
You are worrying WAY too much. I was born sept 17 and have zero memory of feeling young. A rough rule is if you stress about your kids school more than 20 minutes a day you are worrying too much! They are great. Want them to be bored by school? There are pros and cons both ways so let it go. Not an irrevocable decision anyway. Big hug
Anonymous said…
That was me. Couldn't figure out how to sign in! Now I did. I just don't want you to beat yourself up. It's hard to explain, but once your kids are older you come to believe (rightly or wrongly) that these things don't matter as much as you thought they did, and you wish you'd just enjoyed it all more. Remember those kids in Nicaragua? Your kids are lucky whatever you decide, and whatever you decide they'll have so much more than 99 percent of the kids in the world. Another anecdote for you. Michael (birthday Nov. 21) started as the oldest in his kindergarten class. By the middle of first grade the school said it was ridiculous to keep him where he was and moved him to second grade. Thereafter he was youngest in his class and it had no particular effect. He remained good at sports, plenty of friends, got scholarships etc. Another thought. If the twins were born in August, would they be very different in terms of learning or maturity? Or if they were born in October? And you'd have no choice. There are many psychological studies that show modern anxiety comes in part from the fact we are so privileged that we have too many choices and that causes stress and second guessing that have a negative impact on our quality of life. Dr. Oliver Sacks, top neuroscientist who wrote The Man Who Mistook his Wife for a Hat among many other books, severely limits his choices in everything he can, from his diet to his clothes to avoid this stress. He says it makes him much happier.

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Lava Girl

Hippy Town

Laugh and the Blog Laughs With You