3.2 in 12

I've been a reluctant exerciser most of my life. I participated in track and cross country in high school because being on a sport got me out of gym class. Running didn't require a try out and it was way better than gym. William and Mary had a four-semester gym requirement which I met with one dance class, two ropes course classes called "Adventure Games," and bowling. In my post-college years I did no serious exercise at all, and stayed sedentary even as each of my parents suffered (and survived) heart attacks. Age caught up with metabolism around age 30 and I began to half-heartedly work out at a gym. Close to my wedding I worked out with a trainer and actually enjoyed it, though that spell was short-lived. Soon grad school, and then kids, sucked up my energy and time. Inertia set in.

But Boulder has a way of wearing off on a person, and it turns out that if I make it fun I don't mind exercising so much. Hiking. Rock climbing. Riding around on my bike, pulling the kids in the Chariot. Maybe I'm realizing that I need all those benefits exercise brings. Or maybe I'm becoming more conscious of the behaviors I pattern for my kids. Or maybe Boulder, and all the active people here, are influencing me. I walked nearly 40 miles in June, and it was fun, but it turned me off long-distance walking. It just takes too much time, and who has time? No mom of preschoolers I know.

So I decided to try running. Funnydad runs. I thought I didn't like running, but I decided to give it a try because it was an easy and obvious choice for someone who's done with long walks. I signed up for a training program through a local running store that trains people to run a 5k in 12 weeks. I figure: with professional coaches and 12 weeks I can certainly learn to run 3.2 miles. Some people have laughed at me (in the kindest way, really) when I tell them I'm training with a coach for this, but I like my little running group. We're all new at running and we all run a little, walk some, run some more, walk more. In this group my level of endurance is normal.

It seems I respond well to a moderate goal. At first it was discouraging when I couldn't run a third of a mile without stopping, but after a week or so I'm close to a half. I just keep thinking how reasonable it seems to be able to run three miles in twelve weeks and I keep going. (I am, technically, behind in my training. I'm supposed to be able to run 1.5 miles by now. The training plan has us bump up mileage by a quarter mile or so each week. I've talked to the coach and she says just to keep doing what I'm doing and if I work out consistently three or four times a week I will either catch up or be darn close in a month. We'll see about that, but I'm still encouraged that I have seen even this tiny bit of progress already.)

By default I train in intervals -- run walk run walk. That's actually a good way to build endurance! Twice a week I get up and run in the morning before breakfast, and I actually love that time alone to exercise, it's so beautiful that time of day and and so peaceful before the morning routine to come. On Thursday nights I get together with my little running group and we run (and walk). I think knowing I have the 5k goal is part of what keeps me going, helps me not make up my former-self's lame excuses for not exercising. My running group got caught in a rain storm the other day and I had to laugh because I never (NEVER) thought I'd be the kind of person who ran in the rain. I developed an ache in my foot and went to see a doctor immediately to make sure it was okay to keep running. What is happening to me? Am I becoming some kind of athlete?

I'm not sure I'm ready for that label, but I'm happy with my goal. I think I can do it, but there's no slacking off between now and then. The 5k race is on Novemeber 16th. I'll check in periodically and let you know how I'm doing.

Comments

LisaBe said…
that's AWESOME!! how did you ever find this store and its group? go you!

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Lava Girl

Hippy Town

Time to make the donuts