50 words or fewer

At work these days I’m spending a lot of time writing exhibit text. The research phase ended a while ago, the outlines and concepts have all been approved. Now it’s the nitty gritty work of finding ways to make the text make sense, connect with the artifacts and images, flow through the story line, and be lively. And, each text block is generally between 35 and 50 words. Sometimes it’s easy. Sometimes it’s impossible. Somehow it all gets done.

Since I’m thinking in short paragraphs and I’m feeling behind in my blogging, here are some short catch-ups about our lives. All in 50 words or fewer.

******

Our trip to the Pacific Coast of Nicaragua simply rocked. Eleven family members and we all got along. The 400-acre organic farm we stayed on kept surprising us, and we swam every day. There were cool wild (and some tame) monkeys, but there were also big bugs.


******

It’s been in the 70s all week, which has brought on spring fever. Daylight savings time is almost here, which means kiddos will meet outside to play after dinner while their parents chat. Everyone wins.

******

Peas go in the ground on St. Patrick’s Day, so I must get going with my garden. This year I’m taking a smaller plot. Last year’s garden required more than I could give. The weeds! The weeds were insane. I’ve scaled back my expectations in hopes of a better year.

******

Our home landscaping, however, was a dream last year. This year I’m full of ideas for improvement, thinning this and adding that. We’ll see. I’m trying to be realistic on the homefront, too.

******

I’ve forgotten each girls’ lunch box at least once, left my purse at home, misplaced my car keys, and arrived at work in my house shoes – all so far this week. And, I backed into a mailbox smashing the car’s rear windshield on Monday. Bad week.

******

I’ve decided to train for the Bolder Boulder, though the event feels daunting. I know if I can’t run the whole10k, I can run 5k and walk the rest. Oddly, this compromise doesn’t help. I still ask myself: Am I in or out?

******

My hiking group starts again on Monday. I’m excited, though also a bit worried. I’m pretty busy – do I want an activity every Monday night until September? On this one, a partial commitment feels okay, so that's what I'm going with. For now.

******

The girls’ school will hold a silent auction in May. I claim to hate soliciting donations, but so far I’ve effortlessly scored some good stuff. Including five cases of chai. A little strange, but crazy popular here.

******

Today we listened to the lullaby “Hush little baby don’t say a word, Papa’s gonna buy you a mocking bird...” M said, “Mom, if those things the lady is singing about don’t work for the baby, she should give her a nukkie [pacifier] because nukkies always work for babies.”

******

See that word below this that says "comments"? You can click on it! Really! It would be a great encouragement to me if you all would leave more comments. Might even motivate me to post more often. Thanks!

Comments

Unknown said…
Please consider this an encouragement to post more. Thank you.

Oh, and enjoy the Monday hiking thing. I'm jealous.
LisaBe said…
silly bear. i was going to comment anyway! i was going to write that it occurs to me that you would be a great resource for my latest project. i'm now saddled with the responsibility of putting together our annual corporate calendar, each month getting its own quotation. and of course the quotations can't be partisan, controversial, or even too timely. it's mostly dead people. anyway, writing all that label copy and researching all the stuff you do, you must run across good stuff. i'd love your ideas :)
glad you're safely home. talk to you soon. love, m.
Amy H. Jones said…
Love the short paragraph format. Very cool. You have so much on your plate, this is a great way to give the news without adding more work. Keep it up!
paula said…
you have to keep posting on your blog! i've been a silent observer since you moved and i love hearing about you and the girls! i feel like you guys have been gone for such a long time! you guys look like you're doing great. I was watching one of the videos you posted from the girls when they were tiny and that's how i remember them - it's crazy to see how much they've grown up since you left!
Rydley said…
Yes, post post post! Your Nicaragua trip sounds incredible. Jealous of your better weather. I can't imagine hiking here for months at least!
S-Way said…
Post! Post! I enjoy your posts. Plus it gets me to check out your site which is where I can read the wonderful kid quotes in the sidebar. I like hearing about your life up there in the mountains. I too can't wait until Daylight Savings Time (and warmer weather) when we can sit out on the stoop while the kids play...
Hannahble said…
Of course you should keep blogging. Definitely sign up for the Bolder Boulder (or whatever it is). I am on a relay team for the Burlington marathon this year (I'm not sure how long my leg will be, but somewhere in the 5 to 6 mile range). Let's figure out a way to motivate each other. My race is Memorial Day Weekend. When's yours? Missing you tons. Let's start planning our "proffersonal" weekend in August.
Jaime said…
It's not very 'midwestern' to comment on blogs... we're the wallflowers of the US. Like my sister (and my mom) I really enjoy your blog, and I hope you choose to continue posting on a semi-regular basis (if there are doubts, could you be bribed with European chocolate??)

Your stories are a source of inspiration for me. You find balance in the whirlwind of competing commitments and daily life, and manage to do it with grace and a sense of humor. It's fantastic.

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Lava Girl

Hippy Town

Time to make the donuts