Some truths about gardening

• Half a plot is less than half the work of a full plot
• The second year really IS easier
• Four-year-olds are better at playing by themselves while you garden than three-year-olds
• There is no good way to work compost in around a drip irrigation system
• It's not worth the fight against bugs to get beans to grow here
• Everyone who has rhubarb has too much of it, so don't plant any yourself
• Weeds are intimidating, even five months after I last fought the good fight against them

Did anyone notice that after a rousing start to last year's gardening season there were NO posts about my community garden plot? This was not coincidence. This was me sparing you from my sinking depression over how Not Fun my Gardening Burden became. Turns out that 528 square feet of weed-infested garden with poor soil in an arid climate is too much to take on while working half time and raising three-year old twins.


Weeds in my community garden plot last year.


There were several problems, and together they just piled on the frustration. First (and throughout) the weeds almost did me in. I took them away by the wheelbarrow full. Not kidding, wheelbarrows, many, many times. My plot had been abandoned the year before and loads of weeds had gone to seed right there in the soil I was tilling. Plus, I didn't understand the stratigies for dealing with weeds properly -- I've learned a few lessons. But it was (still is?) a harsh learning curve.

Then the wacky Colorado weather meant that during parts of March I needed to be watering every day -- WTF? It's March, there's occasional snow! -- but there's also intense sun. Since I didn't realize this some of my seeds didn't germinate well.

Then, the poor soil (that I thought I'd amended well enough but clearly hadn't) meant that the things that did grow didn't grow well. Tiny peppers. Superball-sized tomatillos. Baby melons. No peas. Blossom-end tomato rot. I got okay lettuce. I got lots of zucchini (who doesn't?). I got a lot of cucumbers, but that's about it.

Overall, what pushed my gardening pleasure down so low was the ratio of weeding-per-satisfying-harvest. By September, knee deep in weeds I almost walked away from the whole thing. Seriously, I'd sit out there for hours, weeding and crying, thinking why am I doing this, where's the fun? I tried to hire people to help, even. The weeds were insane. I'd had such a successful square foot garden in Minnestoa, but this was a whole different game. I was beaten down and began to resent my community garden plot. Dozens of people linger on the wait list for these plots each year, so I should feel lucky to have one. But there I stood in tears resenting the never-ending work and the weeds.

I thought about it, but I didn't quit. Instead, I decided to split my plot this year. A neighbor was all too happy to take half my section. But my passion was gone. The renewal notices came out and I waited weeks to send mine in. I almost missed a mandatory meeting for all gardeners because I just wasn't focused on Things I Had To Do For the Garden. I didn't start seeds on time. I needed a plan, a way to get back into it. I decided on being a lazy gardener.

Things have started okay -- it's easier to get going when you're not starting from scratch. My goal this year is to take the path of least resistance at every turn. I'd like to rearrange or enlarge my rows, get more out of my limited space. Nope, not this year, too much work. I'd like to install a proper gate. Nope, not this year, use what I have. I'd like to cover my not-yet-sprouted arugula so the flea beetles don't get it. I should do it now, but I'm waiting until next weekend when I have time. If the flea beetles get a hold before then, oh well. I just can't knock myself out this year. I have to have the best year I can, get that feeling back.

Thing is, I don't feel it yet. I'm doing what I need to do, but it's still kind of an obligation, not a labor of love. I'm not excited yet. Right now, I'm going on faith that it will come. I'll keep you posted.

Comments

Linnea Marie said…
Jen - I had to laugh about the rhubarb. My mom still tells a story about how she tricked my dad into eating a rhubarb pie when we lived in Boulder. He swore he hated the food but then really liked the pie. I was too young then to realize that we probably had more of it than we could ever use.

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Lava Girl

Hippy Town

Time to make the donuts